Confessions of A Carb Queen

The Lies We Tell Others...The Lies We Tell Ourselves.

Friday, February 01, 2008

Inspiration on a gloomy Friday in NYC...

Hi All!!!

It's one of those really super gloomy days in NYC. I'm SOOO not looking forward to the smells of the subway today! For all you people outside of NYC, you'll just have to come and visit to get exactly what I'm saying. I will PERSONALLY bring you from uptown to downtown on the Number 3!!! LOLO!!

Anyway ladies and gentlemen...I have officially stopped obsessing about food. WOW...that came out easy..only took me about 15 years to be able to say that!!!! LOLO! Seriously, I'm done obsessing about food. I KNOW what is good for me. I have FINALLY realized that all my emotions which can still keep me stuck in a bad place with food has NEVER gotten me anywhere. I'm happier for this descision.

Now I realize that I can focus on what may be bothering me and deal with it...instead of using food, or not using food but OBSESSING about using food (the latter being worse sometimes!) to calm me down. So now I say to myself, "Hey, Susan, food is never going to make you feel better in the long run. Besides, [fill in the blank of the food, and quantity, you are about to it] will not help me get to my goals in life. Sure, maybe I'll feel numb for a little bit, but after that feeling goes away I'll have a few pounds to get off and then I'll be back in place I don't want to be. " I have literally said that to myself for the past 5 months or so, and I have to tell you all...IT WORKS!

So there you have it...on a gloomy NYC day I have finally been able to get to the next level. I hope you can join me!!!

Keep me posted on how you are all doing!!! Thank you for the amazing emails you all have been sending me. You are MY inspiration!!!

Warmly, Susan :)

6 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

susan....i bought your book after seeing it in people magazine. WOW! what an inspiration you are! i have a huge amount of weight to lose as well, although not quite as much as you. you are very, very brave. congrats on finally deciding to stop obsessing. that's very, very hard to do. i'm on jenny craig and 3 months in i've lost 42 pounds and 17 inches total. i still have my moments but i find creative ways around it so i can have my cake and eat it too. or, in my case, my nachos.

again, congrats!! you are fabulous!!!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger determinedjen01 said...

Hi Susan. I tried to leave a comment, but I'm not sure it posted. I bought your book yesterday and read it from cover to cover last night. It was truly refreshing to read a story that was so honest and forthright. Your book had me laughing and crying at the same time, seeing so much of myself in your story. I have been working hard to lose weight. I am now under the 300 pound mark and am more determined than ever to reach my goal. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished your book...the 1st book I have finished in 30 mo...I am a terrible reader, but your book held me captive. I attended a program in Durham also, just not the Rice Diet...I have had some success, but let go of the structure that I need to continue to lose. hey! I'm not gaining, either, that's a win. In all my educating myself about nutrition, food, and health, I never learned about HALT until your book...I know it will help keep me focused! Thank you, Susan! I hope to meet you one day.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger SassyGirl said...

Susan,

First Thank you so much for having the strength and the courage to write your story. It was hard enough to live it, let alone share it. It has put things in perspective for me. Although I was not as severe of a binge eater, it was still there. I will never be a size 2 .. and I have come to terms with being a size 14 isn't FAT either. But its been so difficult because the world sees us thicker - stronger- girls as fat - which is so not the case - and yet one unkind word from them sends us running to Baskin Robbins, or a Gallon of ice cream on your couch alone and crying.. And YOUR RIGHT .. that Gallon of ice cream and package of oreo cookies didn't do a thing to fix the emotions that caused me to eat them. and NO they don't make you feel any better! .. It all wears off.. You have just been such an inspiration and an eye opener - to help me realize I am NOT that size 24 any more.. I work out 5 days a week - my diet is far from perfect - but so am I - and I am HAPPY in the skin I am in - much more now thanks to you...
Words will never be able to express how I feel ...
Thank you from the bottom of my healthy heart..

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished your book in 2 days. It was such an amazing and honest summary of an obese person. I myself lost about 140 pounds almost 4 years ago and am still struggling with the last 30 pounds. It is so nice to see that I am not the only one who struggles with the addiction to food! thank you. I hope to meet you at your upcoming book signing in Long Beach.

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan, I recently ordered your book because I read about it somewhere. I have no time to read so I stayed up late tonight and read to page 82. You are such a great writer. I am looking forward to finishing this book. I can relate to a lot of what you have been through. Thanks for writing this book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home